Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thank You Stephen King

Thank you for Stephen King for saying what we all are thinking...

"Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

I have nothing against books like the Twilight series for young adults mind you, but when the writing is being compared to books like the Harry Potter series and grown adults are saying it's their favorite book I just....don't know what to say.

If you are 15-ish or younger I highly recommend the Twilight series. It's a wonderful introduction to love, fantasy, and sexual tension. But if you are older...please PLEASE move on.


Oh and just so you know I have read the first Twilight novel in the series and all the Harry Potter books so I'm writing all this from an informed perspective. 

5 comments:

Allie said...

I totally agree with you. Twilight was fun for a time, but the magic wore off with all the hullabaloo surrounding it. Harry Potter will always give me chills.

Julianna said...

See that's what it is! It's the chiiilllll factor!

sarah h. hwang said...

ahahhahahah i like the quote. it made me laugh :D

M said...

Yes, Rowling is fantastic, but what I enjoyed the most in the Twilight serious was not the ever-so-present glorification and sparkleness but the dialogue - snappy.

Mindy said...

I love this quote and completely agree! On the other hand though, many people I know who do not normally read are now reading twilight, so it cannot be all bad.