Saturday, January 17, 2009

Actress Timeline: Claudette Colbert

I just watch the 1939 film Midnight today and I loved it so much I just had to pass on the good word. The plot is one we've seen a million times before but somehow coming Midnight makes it seem so new!

 A young woman left with nothing but the gorgeous evening gown on her back, attempts to make it in Paris with nothing but her wit and good looks. After sneaking into a glamourous party, she meets a wealthy benefactor who hires her to seduce his wives lover away by  pretending she is the Baroness Czerny! That same night she finds herself set up at the Ritz with 50,000 francs to her name, a whole new beyond belief amazing wardrobe, and two men vying for her attention. 

There's so much more to it of course but I don't want to spoil it for you! Anyways, Claudette Colbert makes it worth seeing either way. Here are a few of my favorite Claudette films for you to check out. Enjoi. 

The Egg And I (1947)

Midnight (1939)

Cleopatra (1934)

It Happened One Night (1934) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julianna,
I think you and I would really make great friends!! I have just been contemplating doing a post on "It happened one night" and I just started reading The Egg and I over Christmas. :) I check your blog a lot, and always become inspired, or encouraged that I have a kindred spirit. :)

I will definitely be commenting more. :P

Allie said...

"It Happened One Night" is a fabulous film. So classic. And Clark Gable is unbelievably handsome. I fell in love with him when I watched this for the first time.