Saturday, January 10, 2009

Film Review: The Wrestler

The super talented director of Requiem for a Dream and Pi, Darren Aronofsky, has just come out with a new film The Wrestler about a washed up old wrestling champion who finds himself struggling with the threat of retiring from his identity as "Randy the Ram". Sounds sad but it came out pretty light with lots of laughs and a fast paced plot. Plus a great soundtrack and some really beautiful, heartbreakingly truthful moments. 

Honestly, this did NOT sound like a movie I was going to like at all. But my boyfriend and I had free tickets and he was dying to see it so, as a good girlfriend I agreed to go last night. 

It was the best film I've seen in a long time! Who would have guessed?! 

The lead actor Mickey Rourke is rumored to be up for a Golden Globe and I'm really pulling for him. He was a wrestler as well so he really identified with the character and it definitely shows. 

"In 1991, Rourke decided that he "…had to go back to boxing" because he felt that he "… was self-destructing … (and) had no respect for myself being an actor."     -Wiki

Sad right? So go see the movie! You won't be sorry I promise. 



No comments: