Saturday, December 27, 2008

Book Review: The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop

Wow...I haven't gone through a book this fast in a long long while. Lewis Buzbee's book The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop:  a memoir, a history was made for me. 


I really believe that fate brought this book to me. I needed a new book although I already had about 4 good books waiting on my shelf to be read, I was in the mood for something different, nothing in  particular, just different. So I made a special trip to my local bookshop and wandered the tiny room for something to catch my eye. I only really was judging by the covers, but after about 10 minutes I saw a cover that said "bookshop" and that was all I needed. 

Buzbee details all the best things of being in the presence of a bookshop. Every little bit of reverie I've ever felt upon entering a bookstore was summed up perfectly, something I never thought could have been put into words. The book also tells the history of booksellers from ancient Egypt to modern day. It's a really great prep for anyone who wants to work in or own their own shop...which I do someday. 

Anyways...this is going to get too long if I keep going. It's just so hard to stop talking about a book that fits so perfectly with yourself. If you love books, just read it, trust me. 

No comments: